Friday, June 13, 2008

What's In a Name?


What's in a name I asked myself a all day yesterday. 
Let me explain. 
Scott and I were married in October. From the moment we met, truly, I wanted to marry him. 
There was a journey of discovery over the months and years. A desire to truly understand each other and develop , create and build a full life  as a couple and family and  learn how to truly support each other during every day and during challenging times. Each day, I hold in my heart the love story and the desire for learning and growth. ( Some days are easier then others! )
As our wedding day got closer, I knew I was finally living the life that I really wanted. 
With love, honesty, struggle, personal and professional challenges and an amazing family to celebrate. All of the decisions that I made, and we then built together were about a whole and connected life. For the first time, stepping back and thinking about how to enjoy life and celebrate all that matter to me. A wonderful marriage, children, a business that would allow us to spend time with family and use our creative minds, a place we could work with talented people and support them as they rebalanced priorities, reconnecting with my own family and creating time for friends that I had lost touch with over the years. 
In this world I am Amy Williams. 
As we build our business, and reach out to the community-professionally and personally, I find myself at times, retreating to the comfort of my old name..In this world, I expect there may be recognition, acceptance and an understanding of what we are trying to do.  I don't know if that is truly the case. 
As a woman of 40, leaving behind the securities that I developed, basically work, work, work and now looking forward to a life less known, more challenging and a lot richer, I realize something important. 
Anyone I know, would be happy to know that I have gotten married and have different priorities. After a really thoughtful conversation with my husband a better understanding that the struggle is my own. How to reconcile the desire and the vision of this life, and the insecurities and fears that go with it. By embracing it, and saying out loud, this is who I am and what I want. 

This weekend, notes, calls and emails with an update. 
I am thrilled to let you know, that in October at a beautiful wedding in Hawaii, Scott and I were married. I am now a step mother of three, Jackson, Sophie and Ben and a  partner in a new business...Peek...Arent You Curious. Living in the Bay Area, our office is in SF. Would love to reconnect. 

All the best, 
Amy Williams

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin