Thursday, December 31, 2009
The kids could not be more excited about the idea of staying up until midnight..I could not be more thankful for the amazing year full of love, learning and incredible friends. A year ago, I could never have imagined all that this year would bring, and the friends and community that I would find on line as well. There is so much to reflect on, be grateful for and connect with..and have found moments over the last few weeks to do just that. Over the next few hours and long weekend, more reflection, connecting and thinking about what 2010 might bring and what I hope it will be all about.
As I learned clearly in 2009, love, laugh and truly live what you love.
Image from Martha Stewart
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Love the week between Christmas and the New Year...hanging out with family, playing simple board games, reflecting on the year and thinking about all that the coming days and months have in store. For some reason, always a favorite time to get organized, take stock and regroup.
For some reason, as I think about the days and months ahead, love the idea of a fresh updated hairstyle..Keep seeing this photo ( of one of my favorite women..) and wondering if there is ANY way I can pull off the hairstyle...
Can't remember the original source of the photo..but the lovely Vanessa reposted
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
A little late to the party no doubt, but read about this book ( and do miss some of my old NY Favorites...Sullivan Street Bakery is one :)
and was thrilled when it appeared under the tree.
The book got rave reviews when it came out, and for some reason over the last few months, a number of people recommended it.
Have been doing a bit of baking during the holiday break, and looking forward to more in the New Year.
This week..have earmarked a few recipes from this treasure of a book. What better then fresh bread, foccacia and pizza's in the winter months ahead. The perfect Sunday activity.
You can get My Bread from Amazon of course!
Monday, December 28, 2009
I can not wait to ride this little beauty to the farmers market next Saturday..and every Saturday there after.
The girl and I already have plans...and thank you to Mr. W we are dreaming up other jaunts around town.
I can picture a pile of books in the back and cycling home from the library...a picnic in the park...
The picture does not do it justice. It is a treasure and I am quite sure we will be smiling from ear to ear riding it around town.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
A year filled with all that the Holiday season should have..or should I say, what I have always most wanted.
1. Our Family, and the first Christmas with our beautiful daughters and a house filled with Kids and laughter
2. Great memories; watching both Mr. J and Miss S recite poems so beautifully and confidently in their school concert; the cousins holding and totally connecting with their youngest and newest family members; the grandparents faces and joy as they watched the girls enjoy Christmas dinner from the high chairs that they fixed up just for the occasion, laughing with friends in the days and weeks as we connected, shared, and helped each other, experiencing all that the season brings.
3. Dear Friends; and a coming together through joy and pain. Connecting in the most wonderful way with long lost friends from days gone by...
4. Giving; A morning with friends helping those in need during a time of year when so much is about giving of the material kind..
An outing with the Mr and Girls to deliver to moms to be gifts and necessities to make the coming months a bit easier ( and I hope what will be the first of many days of giving and service )
5. Treasuring; Watching the kids as they opened their gifts and helped their new sisters discover their toys ( and the joy of eating wrapping paper ) Noticing, that they were appreciative of the few special things they got, and less focused on the quantity of gifts, holiday music, the roaring fire, funny movies at night...
A treasured and coveted gift from the Mr and a few other romantic treats...
The unexpected gift from a new group of important people in my life..who took the time to seek out something that was so special and generous that a few weeks later I am still glowing.
As I look back, and as we spend time as a family during the week between the holidays, I keep reflecting on all that we have, and all that we have become in this last year. For so many reasons, I feel more complete, more peaceful, and incredibly grateful for all that we have in our lives. Oddly enough, cleaning out the garage ( still a bit more to complete in the next few days )
I was stuck by how much I have acquired and accumulated over the years. As I must have been finally ready to let much of it go, packing up bags for charities, books for the library and gifts it occurred to me that I spent so much time thinking about what I might want and should get.
For some reason, it never filled the space I was looking to fill. The space, I realize finally is filled. With the family, the true friends and the person I most want to be, and am yet to become. I am, I realize desirous of spending my time doing, learning, failing, exploring. And while yes, I shall always appreciate beautiful things, I need not own them all.
So looking forward to another amazing year, and to all that it brings...